How to remove Shutdown from Start Menu via GPO
In this post, we will learn the steps to remove shutdown from start menu. In addition to that we’ll also remove the options like restart, sleep and hibernate options from the start menu on all client computers. Many organizations want to restrict their users from performing the commands like shutdown, restart, sleep and hibernate on computers. This can easily be achieved by using group policy objects. So, the only option which a user can perform is Log off once polices are deployed.
We have assumed a scenario in which, an organization wants to disable the power options for the users in a Sales department.
1. On Domain Controller, in , we have created an Organizational Unit “” and add some users in it.
2. On Group Policy Management Console (GPMC), right click on OU “Sales” and click on ““. The newly created Group Policy Object is a blank template, we need to enable the settings in the blank template.
3. On New GPO console, enter the name of the group policy object and click on OK. In this practical, “” is our GPO name. I’d suggest to give the name that defines the policy you are planning to implement.
4. To remove shutdown from start menu via GPO, right click on the GPO “” and then click on “” to modify the GPO settings.
5. To enable the policy for disabling the option of shutdown, on GPME console, under expand then expand . Click on . Search “” policy and double click on it to open the policy settings.
6. On “” console. By default setting is set to “Not configured, click on to enable the policy. Click on Apply and Ok. This policy helps in restricting the users to perform Shut Down, Restart, Sleep and Hibernate.
7. Log in to any client computer with any user account added in the OU “” and click on Start and then power options. We can only see the options of Log off, Switch user and Lock. It means that the policy is successfully deployed.
8. If any user press for power options, they would get an error message ““. This message confirm that our group policy to remove run from start menu is deployed successfully.